Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wordplay and Characters :)

I hit the 30,000 word landmark this week! My novel is soaring as I find all these awesome websites and blogs for writing...the best being Wordplay. It's posted on the top right of my blog, and I would recommend it to any writer. There are articles, links and videos for wherever you are in your writing process.
I recently found a way to get to know your characters better: write them in a fight scene. Take two of your favourite characters, no matter where they are, and have them fight about an issue, no matter what it is. You find their flaws and sensitive spots pop up like weeds! A good example of this I found is in the movie Star Trek (the newest one with Chris Pine). There's a part where Kirk is goading Spock, trying to get him to admit he's "emotionally compromised". Kirk tries every approach, but Spock remains the stoic Vulcan, emotionally blank. Then Kirk insults Spock's mother...and Spock flips out. Find what makes your character 'flip out'. Is it an insult to their honor, or a suggestion that he's doing something wrong, or a slight against someone they love? You'll find out many traits that define your characters! I found out that my Main Character, Michael, is most angry when he's being called a liar, or when someone says he did something he actually didn't. If you need to get closer to your characters, make them fight. It worked for me! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's a great scene. :D

    So, Michael's sore spot is his integrity? Nice! do you think it's because he values it so much or because he's scared he's compromised it?

    ReplyDelete