Friday, July 1, 2011

Pie :)

Just finished making a blueberry/cherry pie a few minutes ago. I don't think any summer is complete without making at least one pie! It was my first time actually working with my own home-made pie crust...and I must say it turned out very well for a first attempt. :) It was a bit finicky; I had to roll it out and roll it out and roll it out in order to get it just the way I wanted it...but in the end it turned out pretty well. I was surprised at the outcome also because this was my own pie-crust recipe :) I wanted something healthy but tasty...so I looked at ratios and ingredients, and came up with this:

1 cup of all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup whole-grain flour, sifted
1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2/3 cup butter
8 tbs. cold water
1 tbs. brown sugar

Mix together flour and butter in an electric mixer, then add salt. and sugar. Add water one tablespoon at a time until the mixture looks like pie-crust consistency. You can use the pie-crust right away, or you can freeze it for later use.

A friend of mine recommends making a whole bunch of it, then freezing it so whenever the pie-making whim takes you, you can be ready right away with home-made pie crust. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, do I know your friend? she sounds a lot like my mom . . . :D

    Your pie sounds great!

    ReplyDelete