Tuesday, June 21, 2011

On the Myth of Wasted Pages

I believe there are no such things as wasted pages. Period.
People always look at me funny when I say this...they're probably remembering all those essays and reports they did back in school which are now happily decomposing in a rubbish pile somewhere. And yet, I believe that those words were not wasted. Not because they're feeding a grateful worm at the moment, but because each word penned prepared you for the next one. I have a confession to make: I have over 400 wasted pages. Seriously. 400. Count 'em. And my handwriting's tiny! They're contained in old, faded notebooks shoved in a box under my bed. Collecting dust. Not serving any purpose except to annoy my mom when she attempts to extract something from under there. And I firmly believe they aren't wasted. Each word I penned back then make the words I'm penning now even better. And the words I'm penning now make the one's I'll pen later even better. The more pages you 'waste', the more pages are saved. So, when you start to think "Nothing I'm writing now will ever be published...might as well stop writing." DON"T STOP. Pick that pen back up. Approach the blank page. And make the word's you'll write someday even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment